Re: gEDA-user: pcb insulator layer

DJ Delorie wrote:

> Since your insulator layer is using a copper layer, you have to go
> through DrawLayerGroup (or DrawEverything) and check the layer name to
> see if it's your layer.  DrawLayerGroup is fine if the stuff on your
> layer is just lines, arcs, and text.  If you need SMT pads, or pins
> but not vias, you need to edit DrawEverything.

>DrawLayerGroup is for copper layers.  DrawLayer is for silk, rats, mask, etc.

Maybe the no vias along with insulator polygons outcome I am going for would
come from a non copper layer easier?  Future DRC writing won't be limited by
choosing a non copper intended layer for insulator, will it?  Insulator
started being a copper layer because I could create on so easy, even with a GUI choice now...

How would I create another non copper layer and what are the builtin features of that?
They have rules attached as is...  silk causes all kinds of actions (i.e. must be visible to select)
soldermask is generated, not drawn...

Is a copper-type layer best for insulator purpose?

John Griessen

--
Ecosensory   Austin TX