Re: gEDA-user: SMT assembly and gerbv lilbro.mosquito.net.nz

Stuart Brorson wrote:

> Another CAD format, ODB++, is a newer, smarter format for PCB CAD.
> Although I haven't read the spec in detail, I believe it has the
> necessary knowledge to support Lil Bro's request.  We've discussed
> supporting it in both PCB and in gerbv in the past. However, it's only
> been talk so far.  Can your buddies over at Lil Brother accept ODB++?

I could be wrong here, but as near as I can tell ODB++ is a proprietary
format.  I looked some and wasn't able to find any freely available
information documenting it.  Also I emailed some folks at a helpful
board vendor and they said while they can take ODB++, they prefer
RS274-X still.

I'm just amazed that you can get any sort of useful pick and place
program without having an x-y file to start with from the board layout
tool.  It would seem like the task of cleaning up an x-y file would be
way easier than coming up with one from scratch.

RS274-X makes no distinction between traces and pads, has no way of
naming pads, etc.  Besides, even if it did, it would be up to each CAD
vendor to actually do something useful with that capability.

-Dan