Re: gEDA-user: SMT assembly and gerbv lilbro.mosquito.net.nz

Dan McMahill wrote:
> Stuart Brorson wrote:
>
>> Another CAD format, ODB++, is a newer, smarter format for PCB CAD.
>> Although I haven't read the spec in detail, I believe it has the
>> necessary knowledge to support Lil Bro's request.  We've discussed
>> supporting it in both PCB and in gerbv in the past. However, it's only
>> been talk so far.  Can your buddies over at Lil Brother accept ODB++?
>
> I could be wrong here, but as near as I can tell ODB++ is a proprietary
> format.
[jg]What my searching found, too.

> I'm just amazed that you can get any sort of useful pick and place
> program without having an x-y file to start with from the board layout
> tool.  It would seem like the task of cleaning up an x-y file would be
> way easier than coming up with one from scratch.

James of Lil Brother says it's a business reality.

> RS274-X makes no distinction between traces and pads, has no way of
> naming pads, etc.  Besides, even if it did, it would be up to each CAD
> vendor to actually do something useful with that capability.

The minimalist hack I am planning is to find the silk
layer elements that touch each other first, then the intersection of
the max extents of those with pad centers and call that a group.
Then get human input to weed the groups and add the missing.

John G
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX
tinyOS devel on:  ubuntu Linux;   tinyOS v2.0.2;   telosb ecosens1