Re: gEDA-user: pick and place ?plugin?footprints.c? for

> If we really want this we might look into fully supporting arbitrary
> rotations as a first step.

I assume you mean "keeping the rotation separate from the footprint"?
We already support arbitrary rotations.

> the current method is a elegant hack\b\b\b\b workaround.

The current mechanism to do the rotations is a hack, but internally,
we're doing exactly what the regular rotation would do.  I just didn't
want to figure out how to have the traces follow the part through all
that.

> adding a rotation field to the data structures would be what is
> required for DRC checking ( i believe that it still assumes 90
> degree rotations )

DRC works fine.  We had some patches to fix that shortly after I added
the rotation code.

> pick and place exports
> other stuff.....???

In the future, we could add a Pick(X Y) attribute (defaults to Mark),
and perhaps an Orientation(X Y) mark (defaults to "up some") which,
relative to the Pick, tells the P&P machines how much to rotate by.

Those could be added by the heavy-symbol-ifyier based on the tape/tray
specs.