Re: gEDA-user: pick and place ?plugin?footprints.c? for

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  > If we really want this we might look into fully supporting arbitrary
>  > rotations as a first step.
>
>  I assume you mean "keeping the rotation separate from the footprint"?
>  We already support arbitrary rotations.
>

>  > the current method is a elegant hack\b\b\b\b workaround.
>
>  The current mechanism to do the rotations is a hack, but internally,
>  we're doing exactly what the regular rotation would do.  I just didn't
>  want to figure out how to have the traces follow the part through all
>  that.

do square pads work correctly?

>  > adding a rotation field to the data structures would be what is
>  > required for DRC checking ( i believe that it still assumes 90
>  > degree rotations )
>
>  DRC works fine.  We had some patches to fix that shortly after I added
>  the rotation code.

I missed that,  i might start using it more now :-)

>  > pick and place exports
>  > other stuff.....???
>
>  In the future, we could add a Pick(X Y) attribute (defaults to Mark),

defaulting to make would probably break the current method of making
it the centroid.

Perhaps Pick(X1,Y1,X2,Y2)  where this is a unit length vector that
points to the 0 degree mark.

>  and perhaps an Orientation(X Y) mark (defaults to "up some") which,
>  relative to the Pick, tells the P&P machines how much to rotate by.
>
>  Those could be added by the heavy-symbol-ifyier based on the tape/tray
>  specs.

I like that idea that a step to add tape, tray, that guy's mill turned
pick and place bins modifier.

Dave's stroke of pin one is almost exactly like my unit length vector.
 if pin 1 is not sufficient then add a rotation vector.

We should compute the stroke from outside to inside....  some may draw
from inside to inside, others might be inside to outside.

Hardkrash