Re: gEDA-user: pick and place ?plugin?footprints.c? for

Steven Michalske wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Perhaps Pick(X1,Y1,X2,Y2)  where this is a unit length vector that
> points to the 0 degree mark.

I was thinking something similar, but you beat me to it.  It looks a lot
like a pad, so the same code that rotates pads will rotate a unit vector.

>>  and perhaps an Orientation(X Y) mark (defaults to "up some") which,
>>  relative to the Pick, tells the P&P machines how much to rotate by.
>>
>>  Those could be added by the heavy-symbol-ifyier based on the tape/tray
>>  specs.
>
> I like that idea that a step to add tape, tray, that guy's mill turned
> pick and place bins modifier.

?? OK, I'm lost.  Maybe I missed a comment somewhere.  Is this about
translating from tape/tray orientation to board orientation?

> Dave's stroke of pin one is almost exactly like my unit length vector.
>  if pin 1 is not sufficient then add a rotation vector.

Yes, I think it makes sense to split centroid and orientation into two
items, so that either can default independently to automatic calculation.

Centroid(X Y) -- band-aid when centroid auto-calculation fails
Rotation(X Y X Y) -- unit vector band-aid when stroke of pin 1 fails.

Most of the time, you shouldn't need either.

-dave