Re: gEDA-user: pick and place ?plugin?footprints.c? for

Steven Michalske wrote:
> I see two threads,
>
> One on how to add a plugin to gerbv to allow for pick and place auto
> programming from gerbers.
>
> This could be done with or with out the help of an existing pick and
> place file.
>
> The second thread is how to make PCB create consistent pick and place
> data so that the auto fitter would not need to do a thing.

Yes, there are two threads, closely related, since they target the same
machine for the same function.  And I'm sure that is confusing to anyone
trying to follow the conversation.  Thanks for noticing :)

I think it is important to pursue both, and in fact I think
PCB-to-seamless-PnP should be done first, for two reasons: 1) it is the
easier problem, and 2) it provides a gold standard to test the
gerber->PnP program, which will of necessity be more heuristic based.

> Hardkrash
>

> One question to little brother is what format should we use?  Is there
> a standard you prefer?

Yes, it's time for some customer input in the form of a file spec.

-dave