Re: gEDA-user: Building the PCB+GL branch [WAS: Re: Open GL survey (for PCB)]

>> They are?  DSL certainly isn't (the baseband there is the audio
>> range, which DSL specifically avoids) and,
> My definition of "broadband" is "multiple communication channels
> sharing bandwidth on the same medium", which does not, IMO, describe
> DSL.  What is yours?

The one from which my remarks were derived came from googling and
reading three or four pages which gave definitions, such as
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseband and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband.  It is that baseband uses the
frequency range whose low-frequency end is at 0Hz; broadband avoids
this, with its low-frequency cutoff well above that.  As the
"Broadband" wikipedia page points out, the term can also refer to any
signal whose bandwidth is wide compared to something else, but that's
not a very useful definition in this context, as there is no obvious
"something else" to compare to.

Actually, channels sharing bandwidth can happen on baseband or
broadband, via either TDM or FDM (though whether FDM is baseband
depends on your point of view; an FDM-shared medium is not baseband for
more than one of the signals making it up, though if you think of them
as aggregated then the term may be fair).

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx