Re: gEDA-user: What is the logic in gnetlist/spice-sdb when to add a 'X' prefix to an identifier?

>> I recommend that you add the X on the schematic.  Doesn't the
>> netlister just pass the label through?
> Not really. If I call the diode XD108, the netlister calls it DXD108.
>
> Wouldn't it be a work-around to call the diode U108?

I doubt that will work.

IIRC, spice-sdb looks for the DEVICE attribute attached to each symbol
to know what to do.  If your DEVICE attribute is DIODE, then spice-sdb
will emit a D line, whether you want one or not.

I see one of two things you can do:

1. Copy the example presented by the RF amp circuit in the gEDA
examples directory.  Create a top-level symbol showing your diode in a
box (to distinguish it from a real diode), give it refdes X,
create your sub-circuit schematic, and then use the hierarchy
exemplified in that example to link your sub-circuit to the main
circuit.

2. Change the DEVICE attribute of your diode to something other than
DIODE.  I forget what the desired attribute value should be, but it
probably doesn't matter if you just give the symbol an X refdes.

BTW:  If you can't see the DEVICE attribute from withing gschem,
either edit the .sym file with a text editor, or change your gafrc to
promote the DEVICE attribute.

HTH,

Stuart