Re: gEDA-user: PCB - How To Find A Component?

Peter Clifton wrote:
> PCB has a (IMO mis-)feature, where if you click on a net / pin in the
> netlist window, it will jump your mouse pointer to the pin location.
>
> Perhaps (if you know what net your desired component is on), you could
> find it in the netlist window and jump to it that way.
>
> The most recent PCB version sorts its netlist window into a tree, based
> on "/" characters in the netnames, so perhaps that helps further with
> finding things in the hierarchical design.

Hi Peter,

I just had a thought.  Maybe I can script it.  Here's one line from the
.pcb file:

Element["" "0805" "S6/S307/C210" "0.1_uF" 3485000 2080000 -3150 -3150 0
100 ""]

So, what if I:
1) Go find all Element lines containing the substring "S6/S307"
2) Edit the location attribute so that they all get placed in one easy
to find location. That is, all on top of each other.
3) Open PCB, select the pile of parts, and use 'disperse selected'.  I
could also just manually drag all these parts off the pile.  Or, the
script could simply separate them all.

Since I used a hierarchy, I can use this scheme multiple times by
searching on substrings to get the groups of parts that I want.

This sounds pretty straight forward to me, in principle, unless I
misunderstand the file format.  What do you think?

gene