Re: gEDA-user: PCB - How To Find A Component?

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 02:35 -0500, gene wrote:
> I have a large board, around 3000 components.  It's hierarchical so the
> refdes's are long and sometimes obscures the little parts.  Some of the
> devices are 0603, so they are pretty small in a large sea of dispersed
> parts.  I can't easily find a particular part.  I've tried the 'select
> by name', which works fine on large parts, but those small 0603's are
> impossible to locate.  Any ideas?  I can't find a setting for 'zoom
> selected', which would be really good for zeroing on the selected part.

PCB has a (IMO mis-)feature, where if you click on a net / pin in the
netlist window, it will jump your mouse pointer to the pin location.

Perhaps (if you know what net your desired component is on), you could
find it in the netlist window and jump to it that way.

The most recent PCB version sorts its netlist window into a tree, based
on "/" characters in the netnames, so perhaps that helps further with
finding things in the hierarchical design.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,