Re: gEDA-user: gEDA-dev: Have we to bundle gaf packages?

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 01:12 +0100, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> Am Montag, den 23.02.2009, 23:50 +0000 schrieb Peter Clifton:
> >
> > I'm not 100% sure, but it is possible that other tools implicitly
> > require them as well, since they might try to measure some text whilst
> > placing attributes (for example).
> >
> I would have expected that tasks like text measurement are performed by
> all tools via libgeda? But of course it may be possible that some tools
> access the glyphs direct. And libgeda may also depend on or need the
> font glyphs...

Exactly that, the usage would be via libgeda.. (although I think I saw
one case of a font-widths table being built explicitly in one of the
bitrotten "utils" programs).

The pain comes that the pango rendering would be dependent on the GUI /
export renderer for exact dimensions.

IMO, we shouldn't try to measure anything but the height of text (which
we can define).

I suspect it is this measuring reason which leads many graphics programs
to specify text positioning by a box, which the text wraps inside..
rather than how we just specify an origin and a string.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,