Re: gEDA-user: OT: Latex

On Feb 6, 2010, at 2:10 PM, gene glick wrote:
I use OpenOffice for quick & dirty stuff, but LaTeX (with PDF output) for anything that has to look good. Lyx is pretty nice but those types of front-ends usually just get in the way.

First off, thanks for the input from all.

So you write in a text editor, add in your own codes?  OK.

I typically use emacs, yes. Admittedly I don't write very long documents...anything I write that's more than 20-30 pages is usually postprocessed with a C compiler, not TeX. ;)

This is new to me since I've used MS Word for ever, and Open Office to a lesser extent in the past 2 years. I dread using Open Office for reports :( It's a huge struggle every time to get stuff to look nice. All the rhetoric about TeX sounds good. So now I will see. Lyx seems ok to me so far. The option to edit directly is always there - I think.

Anyway, time to fire up the Chevelle SS396, pop the clutch, burn some rubber, and haul butt up the learning curve :)

There you go. :) TeX is extremely powerful, but there's a big learning curve involved. It sacrifices time and ease of use for absolute control and unbelievably beautiful typesetter-quality output.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL