Re: gEDA-user: pcb action to set refdes?

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 00:12 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > They are new components.   We are panelizing a board with several
> > variants of a tricky footprint to see which one will work best in the
> > SMT process.
>
> Perhaps you could hack the new Import code to specify the placement of
> parts being added, perhaps via an Attribute() ?  The default is to
> place the part at 0,0 but if you look for an override...

xgsch2pcb already allows pasting at an offset, as it uses the
paste-buffer.

Here is a snipped from its "pcbmanager.py":

           if self.pcb_actions_iface.ExecAction("LoadFrom", ["LayoutToBuffer", newparts]):
                # TODO: WARN USER?
                pass

            # Paste the new components near the origin
            if self.pcb_actions_iface.ExecAction("PasteBuffer", ["ToLayout","10","10","mil"]):
                # TODO: WARN USER?
                pass

I'm sure, given a known footprint origin on your file, you could
"FootprintToBuffer" and then paste with a programmed offset.

Best wishes,

Peter C.