Re: gEDA-user: any last minute advice prior to sending out for PCB fab

On Feb 24, 2010, at 1:41 PM, Bob Paddock wrote:

To DJ's comment.  We usually do go with pre-programmed parts
eventually.  Solder jumpers
are a really bad  idea when doing anything more than few boards.  Even
zero ohm resisters jumpers
cost real money.

I believe it was my comment that referenced DJ's solder jumpers.

Solder jumpers are not always a really bad idea. They can be hand populated much easier than 0 ohm resistors and cost less.

The whole point of the solder jumpers have two uses.

1.
A jumper with a dollop of solder applied at SMT using the solder mask is cheaper than a 0 ohm resistor for rework purposes, As the resistor needs solder + resistor. After the design is finalized a new board can be spun that shorts the jumper with copper. When you need to disconnect for rework, just use solderwik and remove.

2.
A jumper with the solder not applied at SMT, so that the connection is not made until the solder is applied at a later time. This jumper is much easier to apply than a resistor by an operator. A hot iron and solder are the only things needed, not tweezers or parts.

#2 is used to manufacture products built on the millions of units scale.

Steve