Re: gEDA-user: gEDA user: gnetlist -gdrc buffer overflow and gnetlist -gspice-sdb killed

On Feb 28, 2010, at 10:30 AM, Facundo Ferrer wrote:

>   Hi I was working on my thesis project and I'm designing a 6-bit flash
>   converter. The circuit has 63 comparators (made by me) , 63 inverters
>   (made by me) and 1 decoder (126 inputs and 6 outputs, also made by me).
>   I have a source file for each component (actually more than 127 files
>   because the decoder has nand gates made by me).

127 files? That's the hard way. Should just need 63 instances of a comparator described by one file, for example.

> When I try to check my
>   circuit with drc or drc2 gnetlist finished with a buffer overflow.

Put the following in your gnetlistrc file:

(debug-options (list 'stack 200000))
(eval-options (list 'stack 200000))

That should prevent overflow.

Our DRC isn't really intended for this kind of circuit.

It looks like you're using the kind of hierarchy suitable for a printed circuit flow, not a SPICE/ASIC flow. I suggest first reading the excellent tutorial at http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/SPICE/intro.html. For ASIC, I modify Stuart's flow by leaving out the file= attributes on the symbols, preventing hierarchy expansion. I make a SPICE netlist of each subcircuit separately, and concatenate them to make the design file. That way, a 6000 transistor design needs only a 400 line netlist. A Makefile to coordinate these machinations is useful.

>   Thanks!

Good luck! It'll be fun to have another gEDA ASIC designer around.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx