Re: gEDA-user: Soldering iron tip turns black

Peter Clifton wrote:

> The black is oxidation, probably due to leaving the iron switched on for
> excessive periods without use, or due to having the iron too hot.

ack.
If both conditions combine, the tip gets dull and unusable.

> (I personally try to use Leaded solder as much as I can).

Did you ever try a quality no-lead solder like Balver SN100C, or Felder
SN100+ ? Unlike the cheaper SAC alloys, these solders feel comparable to
leaded solder.

> If it is badly oxidised, you need to clean the tip using some kind of
> proprietary tip cleaner.

I had good experience with steel wool. If the tip repels the solder, give
it a decent rub. Our new soldering stations by OKi come with a bunch of
brass wool. Due to their heater concept, the tip temperature does not
overshoot. In addition, they detect when the tip is in the cradle and
reduce the temperature.

At my place, these soldering stations are subject to daily use by students
who do their first electronics projects. All I can say, is that the first
set of tips still show no obvious wear after about a year.

> Probably others will be able to provide better pointers ;). (And will
> point out if I have made any errors in mine).

My only objection: You use leaded solder. ;-)

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Email: kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx