Re: gEDA-user: Soldering iron tip turns black

On Sat, 2011-02-05 at 15:07 +0100, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> > (I personally try to use Leaded solder as much as I can).
>
> Did you ever try a quality no-lead solder like Balver SN100C, or Felder
> SN100+ ? Unlike the cheaper SAC alloys, these solders feel comparable to
> leaded solder.

Yes, good Lead free solder is not so bad. Most of the time though, when
I'm soldering - I'm repairing existing equipment made with a leaded
process, so I tend to keep leaded solder. Since I'm not doing production
work, I can also get away with leaded solder for new work as well.

I understand it is important to keep leaded and lead-free process stuff
separate to avoid contamination - I'm not sure if that is a legislatory
or process requirement though.

> I had good experience with steel wool. If the tip repels the solder, give
> it a decent rub. Our new soldering stations by OKi come with a bunch of
> brass wool. Due to their heater concept, the tip temperature does not
> overshoot. In addition, they detect when the tip is in the cradle and
> reduce the temperature.

I use Metcal (Now OKI) irons. I own two SP-200 units, and really swear
by them - even if you can't get truly tiny tip cartridges in that
series. They are AMAZING irons for heavy work, as they are really
powerful. The PSUs and irons sell for about Â70-80 on Ebay second hand.

> My only objection: You use leaded solder. ;-)

I guess we've got to live lead-free in this industry eventually, but I
will hang on to Leaded whilst I can.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,