Re: gEDA-user: Text in footprints

On 2/5/2011 10:59 AM, Oliver King-Smith wrote:
    I have asked this before, but I don't think I saw an answer.  Basically
    I would like to create footprints that have text in them, so for
    example a transistor might use a Q? Or a connector might use a CONN?
    Is there an easy was to do this?

The footprint file format supports this. It's more powerful than manually adding Conn1 to your footprint if you're using gschem-->PCB because the software will automatically create the refdes (conn1, etc) names for every element in your schematic when you go from gschem to PCB.

If you have to make text in a footprint manually you can hard code it or draw it on the silkscreen layer. (ElementLines)

Phil