Re: gEDA-user: Snap to grid preventing selecting/dragging text

Colin D Bennett wrote:

> Yes, it helps avoid non-text entities from inadvertently being picked
> instead, but doesn't help select text when the snap-to-grid decides that
> the nearest grid point isn't on the text anyway.

I guess, this never bothered to me because I tend to use a grid smaller
than text size. But yes, you are right. Selection heuristics should extend
to objects not exactly touching the current grid point. Would you mind file
a bug report?

> Yes, thanks.  I do appreciate that feature of pcb; it's how I as a user
> expect it to work.  In contrast, I find that gschem's requirements if
> you want to move a symbol to be really tiresome and it really slows
> down my schematic editing.

However, select-before-move is a paradigm used by almost all graphics
applications I know. In the best of all worlds, both should methods work.

> How to move a symbol in gschem:
>
> 1. Press and release the mouse button over the symbol you wish to move,
> in order to cause it to become selected. (Hopefully it wasn't already
> selected or you might have just selected an attribute like the refdes
> or value instead!)

IMHO, this is a feature, not a bug. It makes it easy to select an
attribute inside a the boundaries of a a symbol.

> 2. Wait for about 0.5 second.  This is necessary or gschem thinks it's
> a double-click.

IMHO, it is not gschem, but your window manager who differentiates between
double click and two clicks in a row. Try to fiddle with the mouse settings
of your window manager to achieve faster timing. In gnome/metacity you can
find this as "Double-Click Timeout" in
   System -> Preferences -> Mouse_Preferences -> General

> 3. Press the mouse button, hold it, and drag the symbol.

My preferred alternative to the two-click-drag method is the accelerator
key [m]:

1) single click on symbol to select

2) press [m]

3) move mouse

This can be done at any speed. :-)

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211