Re: gEDA-user: More footprint stuff

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 10:13 pm, Matt Ettus wrote:
> I can't seem to find a 1008 footprint in the pcb library.  Anyone got one?
>
> We should make this process more scalable.  It should take almost no
> effort for someone to contribute all the footprints which they have
> made to some centralized repository, and simply mark them as
> "unvetted".

we have been using the gEDA tools for minor work for about 6 months.
Specifically, gschem has been used to produce schematics that are
included in documentation and have not been fed into PCB to produce
layouts. FWIW, this is real work for commercial projects. Further, gschem
fulfilled this duty well.

In fact, it has worked so well that we now are interested in seeing what we
can do using gschem and PCB in a workflow. Obviously, we are exploring
alternatives to purchasing more seats/upgrades to the commercial offering we
use. However, there is a catch: gEDA lacks a default package of useful,
modern elements and footprints that are universal to all componets that
comprise gEDA (In our case, at this time,  gschem and PCB). So,
we are in the process of developing our own.

In the past, the majority of elements and such have been provided by
the software vendor. Naturally, we checked them before using them in
production. We view  the time and effort of creating our own parts from
scratch as a cost of using a open source gEDA solution.

There has been talk on this list that some users have element libraries
that were created for use with newlib. It has also been indicated that these
libraries may be fairly complete. Further, these threads have, on occasion,
indicated that the element libraries *might* be for sale. In the event this
is true, the owners of these libraries should speak up. Personally, I have no
problem with element library sales. As far as commercial use of gEDA tools
go, element sales are a good thing. Please note that I'm not saying that we
are shopping for elements. What I am saying is that knowing that elements can
be purchased at X price would help businesses (Like us) better evaluate the
true cost of using the gEDA tools as compared to traditional commercial
offerings. I am sure there are other users who have lurked on this list that
will follow this thread closely (That is, unless it dies).

Best regards

Marvin Dickens