Re: gEDA-user: More footprint stuff

> As much as I understand there are two slightly different versions of
> the GPL, the "normal" GPL and the LGPL (Lesser GPL) which is used
> for some libraries,

It's not just for libraries, and most libraries don't use it.  The
LGPL is for cases where you're replacing something exactly the same,
so the "extra functionality" that normally entices people doesn't
exist, so you need extra encouragement to get them to see the benefits
of free software.  The FSF strongly discourages the use of the LGPL.

> so commercial programs who use this library (or link against it) are
> allowed to stay proprietary.

Not quite.  They still have to provide the *library* in source form,
and provide a way to relink that library into their application.  They
just don't have to provide *their* sources (often, they have to
provide their object files).

> Now I am not sure how much footprints and Libraries are alike, in
> the sense that you could say that linking against a library is the
> same as using a footprint in a design.

From a "derived works" point of view they're very similar.  However,
the solution is for the author to choose a license that explicitly
allows the things you want allowed.  You can say that the symbols can
be used for anything, or nothing, or anywhere between the two.  Using
the GPL for symbols prevents the symbols from being used as part of a
symbol library for a proprietary CAD program, for example, and with a
suitable exception for use by free CAD programs (no exception is
needed for inclusion in free cad program libraries, as long as their
GPL compatible), can be used for pretty much anything *we* want to use
them for.