Re: gEDA-user: NFS Share

On Jan 10, 2006, at 3:43 PM, Eric Daine wrote:
I just used NFS to share the gEDA/gaf directory installed on a SUSE machine.
The idea was to make available some directorys with custom symbols and footprints.

I was surprised to find that both pcb and gschem run just fine out of this shared directory on a remote machine running debian.
The plan was to compile and install Geda, (gschem and pcb) on the remote machines and just use the symbol and footprint library
on the server. However, my question is this,

Is it fine to use pcb, and gschem out of the NFS shared directory? Will I be looking foward to troubles if I don't compile and install the apps directly on each remote machine?

Problems with NFS usually only arise in situations where there's file locking going on. Mail spools are a good example of a place where one might experience NFS headaches. For more "normal" applications like this...NFS was designed for applications like this, and it handles them rather well. I'd be highly surprised if there were any difficulties in doing stuff like this, as this is exactly what NFS was designed to do.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire "You'll have to be a lot more specific than 'that
Cape Coral, FL girl last night.'" -Ted McFadden