Re: gEDA-user: wont be watching list :(

DJ Delorie wrote:

Each of the four zones gets an R8C/17 to run the zone on behalf of the main cpu; this mostly involves one-wire timing, polling, and coordinating mandatory delays expected by the LCD I'm using. They're about $4 each and, unlike FPGAs, you can program them with GCC. These chips were designed to be used this way.

Could you give me some more info on these Renesas chips?
What kind of programmer do you use, whats your development IDE, flow like?
I am interested in development with GCC. I guess redhat released a port for these chips?

Right now I use PICs in everything I build. I love the PICs, and have spent a great deal of
time learning about them, however, if I want to use C I am locked to a proprietery compiler.
Right now I am keeping one old win98 machine going just to manage this code :(

Been thinking about moving to the Atmel line as they too like the Renesas chips are sort of built
for C, from what I can gather the PICs are ineffecient in this regaurd.

Still the idea of swapping to another line of micros gives me the shudders and heebees, after all the quirks I have solved up to this point with the PIC.

Thanks so much for the interesting notes on your project.

Also when you say one-wire do you mean Dallas one-wire bus? I just got through building a sensor node based on the DS2760, will be using it to monitor thermocouples. These chips are perfect for this, give you signed 12bit ADC with 64mV high or low range, plus ambiant for cold junction. No opamp, needed perfect for voltages in this range. I have the board drawn in PCB and gschem schematic if you are interested.