Re: gEDA-user: NFS Share

Reply in line below:

Dave McGuire wrote:

They are there for Debian box though over NFS weird but cool.
all I had to do to get it to run was change my PATH and export the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the share.

This smells like an X resources issue.

Thanks for the tip, I will look into the X resources issue, will google a bit on that.

I really thought I was going to have to compile everything directly for that Debian box to get it to work.

Nono. This is not Windows. The UNIX world has had capabilities like this for years, and some other operating systems (VMS for example) for decades. I personally remember having done something very similar with X itself between four VAXes in 1988 under UNIX, and with other software under VMS ~5 years before that.

I was sure NFS would work for the symbols and footprints, NFS is very cool and something that started to sell
me on Unix when I first saw it in use. Whats puzzling me is that I did not have to compile these programs on the Debian machine. I mean if a compiled binary will run on any of the Linuxes why release it as source and go through all the troubles of building it. I thought the compiled binary would be unique for the machine it was compiled on in some way so that compiling under Suse and running under Debian seems odd.

It is running locally on the client machine right? I mean, all I am sharing from the server
is the disc space as far as I can tell. The client, Debian machine thinks the software is sitting on a local drive, at least thats way I am looking at it.

If I compiled gEDA programs up under Suse and then just Ftpd them over to the Debian machine, I would not expect for them to run, or at least I wouldn't have before today.

Thanks for the input and X resources suggestion,
Eric in awe once again at all the power under the hood.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire            "You'll have to be a lot more specific than 'that
Cape Coral, FL              girl last night.'"    -Ted McFadden