Re: gEDA-user: NFS Share

On 1/10/06, Eric Daine <daine_ep@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If I compiled gEDA programs up under Suse and then just Ftpd them over
> to the Debian machine, I would not expect for them to run, or at least I
> wouldn't have before today.

The Gnu C library maintainers seem to go to great lengths to ensure
that old binaries run with newer versions of glibc (within a given
major number, of course). But most other projects aren't that careful.

I'm a little surprised as well, given how many changes go into each
new release of GTK+. But maybe they are doing a better job of
versioning symbols, or whatever other black magic goes into making
backwards compatible libraries.

--
- Charles Lepple