gEDA-user: Renesas&Pics

Thanks all, Bob, Charles, and DJ, for the feedback on the Renesas chips,

I am very glad to hear more about them. I was not aware that there was another line
of microcontrollers that worked with GCC, so I'll spend some time researching them,
your feedback will be very helpful.

As for SDCC, I did briefly look at it a while back but got the general impression that it was not
quite ready for prime time. I'll have to have another look.

The AVRs are appealing as there is a big hobby base of users and its known to work well with, GCC.
However, now the Renesas chips are intriguing as well (Bobs rant taken to heart). Seems like I could make a programming cable,
give it a shot.

As for the dsPics, they are definitely on my list of future forays. Right now the programmer I am using
does not support them, but reportedly will soon. It's a very cheap USB programmer recently released by microchip,
called PICKIT2. There is a group working on a Linux based interface and from what I understand, it
supports more chips then the microchip released software.

There is a learning curve with all of this that I have been on for quite a while now, I am only just
realizing how much of what I have learned is really quite portable to other technologies. I am starting
to see quite a few new doors open.

DJ, also I am glad you found the one wire bus useful as well, its a recent discovery that I am very excited about, they will be a great resource.

Thanks for all the input its wonderful to be part of such a competent group,
ED