gEDA-user: gsch2pcb : coming up empty

Happy New Year, gang ...

Here's an odd problem. I'm on Mac OS X 10.4.8, using the latest fink release.

I've created a handful of symbols with footprint attributes attached. I've also created a couple of newlib footprint using Darrell Harmon's footgen; the relevant one here is an SOT223.

I'm also using John Luciani's footprint library dated 18 Dec 2006. I've set up the following directory structure for the libraries:

/Users/andy/Library/gEDA/symbols/   <- symbols under here
/Users/andy/Library/gEDA/pcb/jcl/   <- John's footprints here
/Users/andy/Library/gEDA/pcb/asp/   <- my footprints here

The symbols pass gsymcheck with no warnings and no errors.

I've created a simple schematic, and the schematic passes DRC (using 'gnetlist -o drc_output.txt -g drc2 test.sch') with no errors.

Next, I tried to run gsch2pcb to get the PCB files, using:

$ andy$ gsch2pcb -v --use-files --elements-dir /Users/andy/Library/ gEDA/pcb power.sch > gs.txt

and I get an odd failure. The three components on the schematic that use footprints in my library (~/Library/gEDA/pcb/asp/) are not handled by the netlister. Here's what's in the gsch2pcb dump:

----
: have m4 element , but trying to replace with a file element.
        No file element found.
: added new m4 element for footprint    (value=)
----

The blank reference should have found my SOT223 footprint. If I change the footprint to something in John's library (anything, it doesn't matter), the component is processed properly and the footprint is found.

So, what causes gsch2pcb to crap out like this?

Attached is a simple test schematic that uses referenced standard symbols for resistors and a connector and an embedded symbol for a voltage regulator. The resistors use the 0805 footprint (probably pulled from the m4 library). The voltage regulator uses my SOT223- footprint (also attached). The connector is supposed to use the 0.1_inch_2pin footprint from the newlib but it fails to load (and an error is displayed). Again, for some reason, gsch2pcb can't deal with my SOT223-xxx footprint and I don't know what's wrong with it.

Any help is appreciated.