Re: gEDA-user: random observations

On Jan 4, 2007, at 12:41 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

Oh, that's too bad. It's an amazingly useful feature.

Perhaps, but difficult logistically. My initial question is, where on the net do you put the text?

On pads, pins or vias. What's usually done is that the netname appears on the pad/pin/via only if the view is zoomed in "enough." Zoom out and the netnames turn off to prevent clutter.

What we do have is the netlist dialog; you can click on a net to
highlight it on the pcb.  Perhaps a reverse feature (click on the pcb,
have the net name highlighted) would be a good short-term compromise?

That requires clicking on something. The idea is that you can see the netnames and decide which signals to route first.

It's just a convenience, but like I said, it's one that's very useful.

Of course I realize that many people use netnames only for "significant" nets, or those that go to other sheets, so nets not given that attribute don't have a netname (other programs automatically assign a netname if one is not given) so perhaps this is less useful for others.

-a