Re: gEDA-user: random observations

+ Is there any way to have the net name appear on the pads and pins
in pcb?

No.

This kind of thing will probably have to wait for some coding using datadraw and gnetman to build in more Cadence-style properties attached to layout objects.
datadraw and gnetman are used by Bill Cox to do hierarchy differently than the flat netlist with hierarchic names, and when/if that gets integrated into the mainstream PCB, we could easily start using gnetman to add more and more data on each layout object. That would allow all the whiz bang features like fore and back annotation, full connectivity and DRC's as you go...

For now, we have a subset of DRC able to run as you go -- it's pretty good.

Now I want to try the automagic fucntion that cycles the various layout tidyers until no improvement. I've not paid attention to that in a while...my work is mostly power and a dash RF lately, so hand layout all the way...

It's a ways off for a volunteer project. There are so many other ways to have fun in the world besides paying to run expensive Cadence software, or coding to make the free/open PCB do that much... It's good to hear more interest in such features though.

John G
ex chiphead