Re: gEDA-user: Re: GEDA Code Sprint: Idea

Dan McMahill wrote:

joeft wrote:

DJ Delorie wrote:

I find this semi fork disconnecting.

I partly agree. One of the ideas behind HID is that you can have two GUIs that *act* differently, not just *look* differently. That way, each GUI could respect the rules of its usability guide. So some differences are to be expected. However, it would be nice if significant functional (i.e. usability) bits were shared, like user definable menus.

Is there anyone to maintain the GTK interface at the moment?

I'm having the same concern. I'm not in a position to use the lesstif version at the moment and am finding that:

1) There are new features that have been added only to the lesstif version that would be a big help (as kaimartin has already stated).

2) There are some subtle things that are broken as a result of the hid split.

( Such as: crosshair snapping to components and pads has changed, the grid doesn't display correctly on the back side ...)

It would be great if the gtk hid could pick up some of these changes, but it would be better yet if it did not regress as a result if the hid split.

If someone cared to create and maintain some sort of feature matrix indicating what was implemented, missing or broken in each GUI, that would probably be helpful. It would be a good place to refer to if someone had some time and was looking for a project. I'd imagine that could help keep both the gtk and lesstif HID's on par.

-Dan

I'm guessing that a complete list would have to combine inputs from the developers and the users that run into issues as they use the program.

I've noticed some other things which I would be glad to contribute to a "list" somewhere. The two items I mentioned earlier are already submitted to the sf bug tracker for pcb.

Joe T