RE: gEDA-user: gsch2pcb not updating schematic properly

> On 11 Jan 2007 09:23:22 +0100, David Kuehling <dvdkhlng@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > I am no expert (yet) and I am sure there may be many causes to
your
> > > issue - but I have noticed if the footprint attribute accidentally
> > > gets deleted then it will remove your elements from your .pcb
> >
> > Footprint attribute seems to be still there.  Strange thing is, that
> > removing board.pcb and regenerating via gsch2pcb will generate a
valid
> > board with all 98 elements present...
>
> Why didn't you want to use gsch2pcb to generate the PCB?
> /geda-user

I am not the OP, but I have rerun gsch2pcb several times over the course
of this last project. There were a few reasons why I did so

1. I changed the schematic very minor and thus needed a new netlist. The
layout didn't change... rerunning gsch2pcb updated that netlist for me.

2. I wanted to replace footprints for a part. Backed up the schematic
page I was going to edit, deleted the symbols where the footprint was
updated, save. Run gsch2pcb so it deletes those footprints from my
board.pcb. Then copy the backed schematic back and rerun gsch2pcb which
creates board.new.pcb, which I could edit and copy those new symbols
into the old board.pcb... Finally I would only need to replace those new
footprints.

#2 would have been made much much easier if I had the latest cvs code
which allows for the shift click to replace. Unfortunately I do not have
root access over this machine.