gEDA-user: Dual position resistors in gschem/pcb

I need to put some dual position resistors on my board, i.e., have a
land pattern on the PCB that looks like this:

	[]	[]	[]

where an SMT resistor is populated either between the first and second
or between the second and third pads.  I wonder what is the best way to
create this arrangement using gschem & pcb.

Right now I have two independent resistor components in my gschem
schematics like this:

C 7100 12800 1 90 0 resistor-2.sym
{
T 6800 13000 5 10 1 1 90 0 1
refdes=R40A
}
C 7100 11900 1 90 0 resistor-2.sym
{
T 6800 12100 5 10 1 1 90 0 1
refdes=R40B
}

Once I add footprint attributes to these (say, 0805) and run gsch2pcb,
I'll get two 0805 elements in pcb, one for R40A and one for R40B, right?
I was thinking of then creating the DPR by overlapping their pads on the
layer.  Now my questions are:

1. Would this work or not?

2. Should I be doing this in a different way?  Perhaps create a special
   3-pin symbol for the DPR with a corresponding special 3-pad
   footprint?

I did it the way I did because it's quick and easy^H^H^H^Hdirty, i.e.,
involves no drawing of new symbols or footprints, but I'm not sure if it
would work, i.e., if pcb would allow me to overlap the pads of what it
would think are two independent and unrelated SMT resistor elements and
get the result I expect.

TIA,
MS