Re: gEDA-user: gnucap: Multi-disciplinary / mixed language simulation

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 08:36, Peter Clifton wrote:
> Are there any free tools to do Verilog-AMS currently?

Not really. There some hacks and starts.

The most useul one is "ADMS", which was developed by Freescale
Semiconductor (formerly Motorola).
(http://mot-adms.sourceforge.net).

It generates an internal XML file, which can be processed to
make Spice C code.  As I understand, it will make 3f5 code or
ng-spice code.  Then it is up to you to somehow get it into the
simulator.  I think the 3f5 version should work with gnucap,
using the spice-model-wrapper plug-in, which will be available
soon.

"ADMS" uses mostly a subset of Verilog-A, with a few extensions.
It is intended specifically for developing compact models of
semiconductor devices.

> Are
> Verilog-A and Verilog-AMS significantly different?

Verilog-A is the analog only subset of Verilog-AMS.

> An octave plugin to:

I am not familiar with octave plug-ins.

> A plugin to gnucap which:
>
> a) Can write octave's data file format(s)

That would be useful.  Something that looks like a device or
model to gnucap, so you can write interactive models as .m
files.

> I'm actually avoiding octave as much as I can.. its maths
> libaries are nice, but as an interpreted language, doing real
> tasks in it (if they have loops) is really slow.

Have you tried "R"?  It too is interpreted but for matrix
operations it is very fast.  It is a derivative of "S" which
was developed at Bell Labs, but somehow became a commercial
product.  The creator of "S" is now developing "R" which is
GPL.

Interpreted languages are not necessarily slow.  For example, if
matrix operations are built-in, you don't suffer the speed
penalty for the loops that process matrices, and might benefit
from optimized built-in algorithms that are more optimized than
you would do.

> Since I inherited some Matlab code, I am using octave - it
> makes great glue for trying things out, but I resort to C/C++
> when I hit bottlenecks.
>
> Numpy / Scipy have been suggested as an alternative. (For the
> glue).

Py = python?  -- the same interpreter issue as octave?