Re: gEDA-user: a project documentation system

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 15:21 +0100, Levente wrote:

> > The file association doesn't seem to be working at the moment, the
> > browser thinks the content might be harmful and will only let me save it
> > on disk. I get the impression it doesn't know how to deal with it.

Ok, it recognises the file... but doesn't want to open it.

> I had some time to hack on this topic. You have to add lines in your
> /etc/mailcap file. On debian, one should not edit that file by hand. There is
> a update-mime util for that. So my /usr/lib/mime/packages/geda looks like
> this:

How strange! We already registered with the XDG common mime information
database, which does its thing right in Gnome and latest KDE. More
amusingly, my mail reader (evolution) uses that happily, offering me the
first option of "Open in PCB Designer". Apparently the gnome web browser
(epiphany) doesn't use the same mime registrations.

> application/x-pcb-layout; pcb '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" ; priority=4
> application/x-pcb-footprint; pcb '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" ; priority=4
> application/x-pcb-netlist; gvim '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" ; priority=4
> application/x-geda-schematic; gschem '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" ; priority=4
> application/x-geda-symbol; gschem '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" ; priority=4
>
> Then one should run update-mime. I don't know what system are you using
> though.

Ubuntu Gutsy with Gnome 2.20

Thanks for the pointers on the mime-info.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,