Re: gEDA-user: a project documentation system

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:23:34 +0000
Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 15:21 +0100, Levente wrote:
>
> > > The file association doesn't seem to be working at the moment, the
> > > browser thinks the content might be harmful and will only let me save it
> > > on disk. I get the impression it doesn't know how to deal with it.
>
> Ok, it recognises the file... but doesn't want to open it.
>
> > I had some time to hack on this topic. You have to add lines in your
> > /etc/mailcap file. On debian, one should not edit that file by hand.
> > There is a update-mime util for that. So my /usr/lib/mime/packages/geda
> > looks like this:
>
> How strange! We already registered with the XDG common mime information
> database, which does its thing right in Gnome and latest KDE. More
> amusingly, my mail reader (evolution) uses that happily, offering me the
> first option of "Open in PCB Designer". Apparently the gnome web browser
> (epiphany) doesn't use the same mime registrations.

I use neither GNOME, nor KDE, just a window manager. But I think it is more
general to edit the system wide mime types. Mozilla, mutt, Sylpheed, etc.
using it. Just my EUR0.02.

> > application/x-pcb-layout; pcb '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" ; priority=4
> > application/x-pcb-footprint; pcb '%s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" ;
> > priority=4 application/x-pcb-netlist; gvim '%s'; test=test -n
> > "$DISPLAY" ; priority=4 application/x-geda-schematic; gschem '%s';
> > test=test -n "$DISPLAY" ; priority=4 application/x-geda-symbol; gschem '%
> > s'; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" ; priority=4
> >
> > Then one should run update-mime. I don't know what system are you using
> > though.
>
> Ubuntu Gutsy with Gnome 2.20

That is debian based I guess, so the above might work for you.

> Thanks for the pointers on the mime-info.

You are welcome.

--
Levente
http://web.interware.hu/lekovacs