Re: gEDA-user: Printing schematics

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 23:24 -0500, Ian Chapman wrote:
> I did what JD said we should do.  File/Write-image to encaplulated
> postscript.  That worked fine and I clicked on the dot.eps file and it
> looks fine using Evince Document Viewer (ubuntu default I guess) but
> printing this to pdf I can only get a portrait view of the left half of
> the schematic.  I've tried various combinations of portrait/landscape to
> no avail.  What do you guys use to go eps to pdf?  Better still how do I
> do all my dozen pages without gui-ing it one at a time?  Regards Ian.

eps is good for embedding in documents, just "ps" is better for
printing.

File->Print then select the destination as File: and enter where you
want to save it.

The script fragment DJ posted is from a Makefile.

Save that code in a file called "Makefile". I'll explain what it does:

___________________(Below this line)

all: schematic1.pdf schematic2.pdf schematic3.pdf     <--- (List your dependencies (in this case outputs) for "all" here)

%.pdf: %.ps                                           <--- (Making a .pdf file depends on a file / rule with same name, but with .ps)
        ps2pdf $< $@                                  <--- (A command to make .pdf from .ps files)

%.ps : %.sch                                          <--- (Making a .ps file depends on a file / rule with same name, but with .sch)
        gschem -p -o $@ -s ./print.scm $<             <--- (A command to make .ps files from .sch files)
___________________(Until here)

Note that those indents above are TAB characters, and SPACES will not work.

In the directory you saved the Makefile, just type "make" or make all,
and it will generate the .pdfs. Note, the first rule encountered will be
run if you don't specify any command line options. (IIRC).

With some more Makefile rules you can do lots of quite clever things,
such as exporting BOMs, compiling various pages of documentation,
rebuilding LaTeX documents etc..

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton