Re: gEDA-user: Wish list, sort of

On Dienstag, 6. Januar 2009, r wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Werner Hoch <werner.ho@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > My "database" are just some ini-style files that contain some
> > attributes and other definitions. A python script combines the
> > definitions and template symbols to complete symbols.
> >
> > I've only a few parts (1000 to 1500) mostly diodes and transistors
> > with spice models. I haven't played with a real database like
> > mysql.
>
> This looks very interesting. I spotted this mechanism before but
> assumed this is just yet another way of accessing symbols.
>
> Can you explain how do you tie symbols with their respective spice
> models? Can you switch between different models by configuration?

gschem calls a python script called gedaparts. The script can extract
the available parts from an ini-style data file with the list command.

The ini-file looks like this:
----
[GLOBAL]
MODELDIR=model_library/nxp/bipolar/
TESTDIR=model_tests/nxp/bipolar/
DESCRIPTION=NXP bipolar models
GOLDEN_CHECKSUMS=model_golden_checksums/nxp_bipolar_lib.md5sum
CURRENT_CHECKSUMS=model_checksums/nxp_bipolar_lib.md5sum
model_status=undefined

[2PA1576Q_NXP00001]
symbol=pnp.sym
value=Q2PA1576Q
modelname=Q2PA1576Q
file=2PA1576Q.prm
refdes=Q?
pinseq_c=1
pinseq_b=2
pinseq_e=3
pinnr_c=C
pinnr_b=B
pinnr_e=E
footprint=none
documentation=http://www.nxp.com/acrobat/datasheets/2PA1576_5.pdf
description=PNP general-purpose transistor
test_refdes=Q1
model_status=good

[2PA1576R_NXP00002]
symbol=pnp.sym
value=Q2PA1576R
------

The [GLOBAL] section defines some pathnames, ...

All other sections are attributs of devices, where all attributes and
values for the symbol are defined.

With the get command gschem can ask for a symbol. The python script will
then put the values of the requested symbol section into a symbol
template. (using the python moduls string.Template and ConfigParser)

The script writes the complete symbol to stdout and gschem receives the
symbol.

> If this "virtual library" could store both symbols and schematics (as
> well as netlists, models, ...) that would be great.

It currently has references to model files. The filenames are added to
the symbol attributes.
You can start the simulation after netlisting.

Why would you like to store schematics in that database?
Or Netlists?
Sounds strange to me.

template pnp.sym and gedaparts script attached. Both really simply.
For the whole system you've to download the source of the spicelib.

Regards
Werner