Re: gEDA-user: symbol databases, was Re: Wish list, sort of

On Jan 6, 2009, at 7:55 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>>>    A perfectly good approach, of course.  I'm in a situation,
>>> though,
>>> in which the network is *never* unavailable, for other reasons,
>>> and I
>>> am a big fan of centralized storage and decentralized processing.
>>> That is the standpoint from which I speak.
>>
>> I'm still not clear what you're asserting here. The project symbol
>> directory approach works fine in a "centralized storage and
>> decentralized processing" environment. Been there, done that, with
>> Viewlogic instead of gEDA, but the issues are the same.
>
>    Centralized on the *network*, not on a single system.  I edit
> schematics on many different systems, depending on where I'm working.

Yes, I understand that. At the MIT Center for Space Research we had
hundreds of systems networked via NFS, and that's where I used this
approach with Viewlogic.

It doesn't matter whether you centralize with CVS or Subversion,
centralize with NFS, decentralize with git, or just develop on a
single machine. The project symbol directory approach works well in
*all* of these cases.

So I still don't understand what you are attempting to assert.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx