Re: gEDA-user: DJ's PCB making procedure

DJ Delorie wrote:
> My technique, as shown, is not really much different than what is
> documented online.  You can read pretty much any toner-transfer
> description and follow along with my photos.
>
> Note, however, that I've switched to using photofilm and CuCl etchant,
> so I don't actually use the procedure in those pictures any more.
> Well, except for the hotplate :-)

This is subject for another list but:
That tin plate solution is really old or you didn't clean the board
right ...
It should be done an acid rinse before, use hydrochloric acid 10% or
sulphuric acid 10% (should also work oxalic or phosphoric acid from any
rust remover). Tin plate can be bought really cheap in tin chloride,
sulphuric acid, and thiourea available on ebay, it normally has weeks of
living and there are at least other 2 formulations...
That hands without gloves cleaning the inks is really bad, things like
acetone dilute so well it can enter in the blood thought skin.
I use to clean the boards before print in dry just with a soft special
rubber from megauk.

Also about ferric chloride shouldn't be recommended because people will
throw it on drain and after etch copper it became a strong pollutant.
And worst is that old thing CuCl, you are buying copper to etch copper
and drain twice the copper  way.  One of this days i will try ammonia
and hydrogen peroxide if it works and after use (hours or days) leaves
just water and copper... If it doesn't work adding  sulphuric or
hydrochloric acid will do, and leaves the correspondent copper salt
(that should precipitate also).

Simao