Re: gEDA-user: GTK RANT

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It wasn't so long ago that gschem added more standard keybindings as
> default for the Copy+Paste actions. I'm sure no-one would argue that was
> a bad thing, or that users ought to fix those themselves.

There is no doubt no defaults will ever satisfy everyone, not in EDA.
I think best what gEDA could do is:
- use sane defaults, perhaps favouring inexperienced users,
- make changing settings easy, e.g. by selecting (in GUI) predefined
keymaps that emulate other popular EDA packages.

*Personally*, I'm not a big fan of two-key shortcuts. They tend to
slow down navigation and editing quite a bit. OTOH, I don't care much
about less frequent actions - I wouldn't even mind if these were only
accessible from the menu.

Regards,
-r