Re: gEDA-user: taking issue with Symbol creation

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 8:01 PM, John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2010, at 7:02 PM, phil wrote:
>
>> So really the pinseq is the pin number ... and pinnumber is just an
>> alternate pinlabel, a qualitative UI attribute.
>
> In most flows, pinnumber must match the pin number on the footprint
> the layout program uses. But some parts (commonly connectors) don't
> designate pins numerically. A1, A2, ...
>

>> Is pinnumber the human appendix of geda?  Or does it fulfill some role
>> that pinseq and pinlabel cannot?
>
> Pinlabel is for humans, and for hierarchy. Pinseq is a unique
> numerical identifier for the "pin", independent of the footprint if
> any (not all symbols correspond to parts with footprints).

Would it be possible to define some defaults (no pinseq, default to
pinnumber) to avoid cluttering up the symbol files in the common case?
 We could even use the asciibetical sorted pinnumber values and get a
reasonable sequence for BGA-type numbers.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--