Re: gEDA-user: Silver Epoxy: was Parts Manager Working Document

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Gabriel Paubert <paubert@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> e) That the distributors in Spain take outrageous margins ($200 becomes
>   €400), so I'm trying to find a cheap way to get the epoxy.

Mark Stanley said most of what I was going to say. It was all very good advice.

You may want to try Bonding Source for epoxy. They also sell bonding
tools and wire and seem to specialize in prototype quantities.
http://bondingsource.com

I use a jeweler's oiler to apply epoxy for small parts such as this.
For larger parts, I use it as is, but for smaller ones like your
diode, I sharpen the end by rubbing it over a piece of alumina. I have
attached beam lead parts to 5 mil microstrip with this method and had
minimal epoxy bleed over the edges. I usually don't have problems with
quantity of epoxy on small parts. The big ones like alumina substrates
are more difficult for me to get right.
http://www.excelta.com/product_categories/spatulas-oilers/products/010-black-micro-spatula

Those are some tiny bond pads.

I can't really help with epoxy selection. What I use is expensive,
hard to get and has high curing temperatures.

Darrell Harmon