Re: gEDA-user: Schematic Capture to dxf File - using gEDA, Inkscape, and pstoedit

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:55:51PM -0800, Dave N6NZ wrote:

> No, I was concerned about the shape of the pad w.r.t. correct solder reflow.

I guess I was assuming that if you were milling a PCB you were prototyping
and thus hand assembling.  Of course you could still mill individual
outlines if you wanted -- I was just looking at options to speed it up.
It's an interesting geometry problem!

> > The polygon code is fully generic.  It can do what you describe (in fact,
> > it does, it just probably doesn't output in the format you want).
>
> Hmmm.... well, point me at the code, and I'll have a look at seeing
> what it would take to sew in Ribbonsoft's dxflib as a writer. All I
> really want to do is convert the edges of pads into lines and arcs.  This
> sounds like an exercise in pulling X's and Y's out of pcb and stuffing
> them into dxflib objects.  Assuming I can get arcs for the ends of rounded
> pads....

polygon1.c is "PCB code" that knows how to render PCB objects (like pads
and lines) as polygons.  polygon.c is a polygon library of sorts.  Someone
pasted in a long explanation I wrote into one of those (polygon1, I think).

It knows how to make arcs, but it makes them out of straight segments.

> Not me, that was the *other* Dave who was using inkscape, the Dave that started this thread.  I'm just thread-jacking to talk about paste stencils :)

I can only handle one Dave at a time!

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>