Re: gEDA-user: Schematic Capture to dxf File - using gEDA, Inkscape, and pstoedit

On Jan 20, 2010, at 11:52 PM, Ben Jackson wrote:

>>> The polygon code is fully generic.  It can do what you describe (in fact,
>>> it does, it just probably doesn't output in the format you want).
>>
>> Hmmm.... well, point me at the code, and I'll have a look at seeing
>> what it would take to sew in Ribbonsoft's dxflib as a writer. All I
>> really want to do is convert the edges of pads into lines and arcs.  This
>> sounds like an exercise in pulling X's and Y's out of pcb and stuffing
>> them into dxflib objects.  Assuming I can get arcs for the ends of rounded
>> pads....
>
> polygon1.c is "PCB code" that knows how to render PCB objects (like pads
> and lines) as polygons.  polygon.c is a polygon library of sorts.  Someone
> pasted in a long explanation I wrote into one of those (polygon1, I think).
>
> It knows how to make arcs, but it makes them out of straight segments.

Upon reflection, it still seems to me that the correct place in the tool flow for gerber->dxf is in gerbv, not pcb.  I've never looked at the new internals of gerbv since it has been rewritten and library-ified.  So... am I deluded, or does this scenario make sense:
1. Turn the polygon code in pcb into a formal library
2. Add an "export dxf outlines" dialog/functionality to gerbv
3. Use the polygon library in gerbv to recognize connected gerber stroke outlines.
4. Add some new code to convert stroke outlines into dxflib objects
5. Use dxflib to write a dxf file.

This seems to me like it would solve my paste layer extraction problem, as well as provide a path to pcb milling.  In addition, it would provide a path to get a pcb design into the mechanical design flow.  For example:

A. To get a paste layer, I would load my design in gerbv, and simply export the paste layer as dxf outlines, and drop into my current tool flow.
B. To mill a PCB, select a copper layer, and export as dxf outlines.  Then use your regular CAM tool to create gcode from the dxf.
C. To feed the mechanical design assembly, export the outline layer and drill layer (to get the mounting holes) as a dxf file, probably with two different layers in the dxf file, or perhaps as two dxf files.  Import into Solidworks (or whatever) and turn it into a part drawing. (At this point, we'll probably start wishing footprints contained a model of the component hull.)

I believe gerbv is the right place for dxf export, since that creates a tool that works with any gerber file from any tool.  The overall tool flow is more logical that way.

-dave