Re: gEDA-user: Schematic Capture to dxf File - using gEDA, Inkscape, and pstoedit

On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 11:47 -0800, Dave N6NZ wrote:
> Upon reflection, it still seems to me that the correct place in the tool flow for gerber->dxf is in gerbv, not pcb.  I've never looked at the new internals of gerbv since it has been rewritten and library-ified.  So... am I deluded, or does this scenario make sense:
> 1. Turn the polygon code in pcb into a formal library

Somewhat awkward - as it relies on various PCB internals,
data-structures and other algorithms. (Not themselves necessarily
warranting their one library, but their usage not confined to the
polygon code).

Not impossible though.

I've been quite tempted to use portions of the contour boolean operation
routines on some academic work I've been meaning to get around to...
Arbitrary polygon constructive geometry would be really handy for some
iterative finite-element model generation I want to do.

[snip]

> I believe gerbv is the right place for dxf export, since that creates
> a tool that works with any gerber file from any tool.  The overall
> tool flow is more logical that way.

Keep it modular enough, and it could live in PCB as well.. keeping the
CAM export steps all together. Or.. go more modular (and Unix-y?):

Have a gbr2dxf tool which links against libgerbv to do the work, but
keep it out of gerbv.

I don't have a good intuition which way to go on this. Proper project
management should be able to being all the export steps together anyway.