Re: gEDA-user: gEDA Arabic Translation.

Welcome Abdellah, Hi Peter,

-----Original Message-----
From: geda-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:geda-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peter Clifton
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:34 PM
To: gEDA user mailing list
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: gEDA Arabic Translation.

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 16:59 +0100, ??? ???? ??? (Abdellah Chelli) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am Abdellah Chelli, from Algeria. I hope to contribute to the
> gEDA/gaf project by translating it to Arabic Language.
>
> I have already started translation through Launchpad (Not finished
> yet). But I want to move upstream*. This will keep me updated with the
> project progress.
> Peter Clifton told me that I could make translation upstream if I
> prefer that. (https://answers.launchpad.net/geda/+question/98378)
>
> How can I continue translating? Do I need an access to git or it is
> well sending .po files? Peter told me that you prefer git patches.
>
> Cheers,
> Abdellah.

I'd appreciate if one of the existing translators answered this question,
since I'm not familiar with the workflow myself.

(Fixing "s/color/colour" for the en_GB translation really doesn't count ;))

My personal suggestion would be to grab the gEDA code from git:

http://www.geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:scm

git clone git://git.gpleda.org/gaf.git

Learn to build and install gEDA from source, then step into the various "po"
directories "libgeda/po, gschem/po and (trivially) gattrib/po", and look at
making the translations there in your checkout.

Since we don't ship Arabic translations at the moment, you will need to "git
add <path_to_file>" before they show up in "git diff" output.

Best wishes,

Peter C.

--------

For pcb I would do:

    git clone git://git.gpleda.org/pcb.git

Or

    git fetch origin master

After some time to update your local copy of the repo (or "git pull" if you
have commit rights for *upstream*)

Then do:

    cd pcb

    ./autogen.sh

    ./configure

    cd po

    make update-po

For the very first time you may have to copy the .pot template translation
file for a start of your arabic po translation file.

Start your favourite editor (I use poedit)

Do your magical translation thingy ... (which may take a while ;-)

Check while in your editor for typos.

    cd ..

    git add po/arb.po  (for standard arabic)

    git add op/aao.po  (for algerian saharan arabic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_639_macrolanguage#ara)

Double check with "git diff" (to be sure) for typos again ;-) or have a
fellow countryman check what you have translated.

    git commit

    git format-patch ...

And send the patch files to geda-user and/or geda-dev mailing lists with
"[Patch]" at the beginning of the subject line.

Same modus operandus for gEDA/gaf except that gschem, gattrib and libgeda
each have a po file.

Hope this helps a little bit to get you going.

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.

BTW: you probably get mentioned at the "translators" section of
http://www.gpleda.org/developer.html as a reward, and kudos from fellow
translators :-)