Re: gEDA-user: PCB antenna pattern

On 1/13/2011 10:57 AM, Kovacs Levente wrote:
I am designing a zigbee interface, and I am using an inverted F antenna
out of PCB pattern. The problem is that the terminals of the antenna
pattern are shorted (well not on 2.4GHz), so I don't have any clue what
to put to the schematic. So far, I simply grounded the antenna pin of
the transceiver, but it can lead to misunderstanding. The other option
is to have a two-pin symbol, but the pattern will cause short circuit
when running the DRC.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Levente

Can't you make the antenna in a component as multiple pads? Then it would be connected just like any other component pads.

If there is no way to make the antenna out of pads, perhaps you could create pads that are very tiny so that they can be connected by traces without changing the outline. Pad A would need to overlap pad B. Then separate nets could connect to the two pads without the software thinking they are shorted.

If the tools won't let you have pads touching inside a part, I guess this won't work.

Rick