Re: gEDA-user: gEDA flow for chip design?

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 17:44:33 -0600
John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/15/2011 10:52 AM, Florian E. Teply wrote:
> >   i'd want both simulation as well as generation
> > of production-ready data (GDS or OASIS files, preferably OASIS), but
> > have not the slightest idea on how to accomplish that or even if
> > that's possible with open source software, let alone from within
> > gEDA.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Florian
>

> I've done chip logic and layout with Cadence tools and it was at
> a small start up at first -- Cadence didn't care much about our
> success and we had to do all kinds of self starting to get a working
> flow even though it cost tons of money.  I've not done work with
> magic, http://opencircuitdesign.com/verilog/index.html , but from
> asking about it on its list, it can
> generate GDS2 output and you can extract capacitance from layout with
> it. If you sign up for its mail list you can ask Tim Edwards, the
> current maintainer and guru about feasibility for your project.
>
> John Doty mentioned his layout is hired out, but I can't remember
> what tools are used.  He's going to be your resource for simulation.
>
> What will you make?  some kind of sensor?

First, thanks to all for the contributions, they are much appreciated.

What exactly i will make isn't entirely sure yet. My plans are to
explore the degradation properties of some 0.25 micron and/or 0.13
micron BiCMOS processes of a small research fab in mixed radiation
environments.
But I'm still at a very early stage, mostly trying to digest the
literature in order to find a small niche where genuinely new insights
could be gained.
In the long run I plan to integrate the findings into specialized
models for simulation.

After all the radiation testing and modeling, one might consider this a
radiation sensor ;-)

Greetings,
Florian