Re: gEDA-user: gerber outlines

Rob Butts <r.butts2@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm trying to provide Dorkbot PDX with gerbers for a two-layer circuit
> board.  They require an outline gerber so I followed the
> http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:pcb_tips#how_do_i_make_a_board_outline_to_go_with_my_gerbers_to_the_board_maker
> instructions
> by naming the active layer which for me was the component layer 'outline'.

No.  You need to add an extra outline layer, which is empty except for
the board outline, which needs to be drawn as a closed seqence of lines
(and/or arc?).

> I then exported the gerber file and the outline gerber still shows nothing.
> The help link above makes it sound like PCB will generate the outline
> automatically to the 'outline' layer absolute edge.

No such automatism.

> Do I have to draw these lines in or does PCB do this and what should I see
> when viewing the outline gerber layer?

Yes, you need to draw them.

The fab gerber includes an outline trace, which is the 'absolute edge'
of your design when there is nor outline layer.

--
Stephan